Sunday, May 4, 2008

Day 4, More More More!

Today's Highlight: Being European.
All of the natives here think I am Dutch. Sometimes even when I speak to them in English they still think I am Dutch... Or British? I don't understand that, but I guess people don't recognize my accent? in the same vein, I did something completely un-European today, and fell of my bike in the middle of the road (it's ok Mum, I'm fine). Today, May the 4, is the day that the whole of Holland takes 2 min. of silence at 8pm, to remember the second world war. Tomorrow is a day of celebration, with music and food in the parks, mostly to celebrate when Holland was liberated from the German army. I asked a few people today what the general attitude here is toward German people. I guess I a lot of people in the older generation still feel quite hostile toward Germans. It kind of amazes me, since the two countries are so close. Bertie said that when she was little they would go to the beach, that was close to the boarder with Germany. Her parents would sit far away from any German people, because they disliked them so much. In the younger generations there aren't really any hard feelings, but I imagine that it would be hard to hate you neighbour (but that's just me).
Back to the 2 min of silence. It was amazing. Judith told me that it would be a good way for me to take place in something especially Dutch, so at 7:30 I went to Dam square. The square is right in the middle of the downtown (centrum) and in normally one of the busiest places in town, with all kinds of traffic, people and street performers. This evening the square (about 6 times the size of parade square in Halifax) was blocked off, and thousands of people were gathered there. For about 5 blocks in every direction there were bikes piled up on the sidewalk, where people had left them to make more space in the square. At about 2 min to 8 the queen and a few other members of the Dutch Royal family walked to the front of the crowd, and a woman with a trumpet began to play. And everyone went silent. The city was quiet (except for distant traffic) for a whole 2 min. At one point a little girl near me in the crowd coughed, and it sounded like a jack hammer. It was pretty powerful.
Of course, I fell off my bike right before I got into the square. Since the roads were closed, everyone was walking in the bike lanes. I tried to look all calm and cool, but I got my front tire caught in a tram line and went flying off my bike. Funny thing was that no one came over and asked "are you OK stupid tourist girl?" I don't know if people were just sparing me the embarrassment, or if they see that kind of thing so often that they ignore it unless there is blood. Either way, until that moment I feel supremely cool, but it's ok, I'll be cool again tomorrow.
The rest of my day I spent with Judith, doing some test shots for a job she is working on. It was fun being her model, and spending the day talking about photography and her experiences. She has talked me down from the digital ledge, and convinced me to try film again. Tomorrow I am going to leave my nikon at home ans shoot with my Holga. This city will be great for the Holga look, and I think these images will make great postcards for my project.
Remember that park I told you about yesterday? Vondelpark? Well, a neat little tidbit for anyone who wants to know, the city will be legalizing sex in the park after dark as of Sept. 2008. Talk about romantic, I hope they institute a one bush buffer zone :)
With Love
Emma
PS- here's a picture of me and my biking, hitting the town

No comments: