Friday, May 16, 2008

Spelling mistakes!

Today's Highlight: Pad Thai on the couch
Hi everyone. Sorry about the post yesterday! we got home late and I was obviously not the best typist. I am writing you from Judith's, where I am doing scans of the last few rolls of film I have gotten developed. They are are expired rolls that Ingram gave to me before I left, so there is some funky stuff going on with the colours, and light leaks. I think you will like them, at least from what I have seen.
The past couple of days (since Adrian got here) have been moving a lot faster then the first half of the trip, I guess it's because when I am not with Judith, I am being a tourist with Adrian.
I have been here so long (I know it isn't that long, but it is long enough to feel at home here) that I have a bit of a dislike for tourists, just like the locals. Now I am touring around, and I feel slightly conflicted :) Today was a really rainy day (the very first!) and I was one of only a hand full of people on my bike. I guess the Dutch don't like to get wet. I got up early to get to the lap and pickup negatives, then booked it to meet Judith and her sister to do a shoot for a brochure. I got to be on the other side of the lens today. Judith's sister and I were models for a social work company. It was the same place we did the shoot for 2 days ago. It was the best learning experience so far. Judith had scouted out the room the day before, and wasn't too sure about some aspects of it. It was a cluttered board room, with lots of ugly tables and fake plants, but lots of natural light. Judith tried three different angles before she was satisfied with what she had. We moved furniture, props and ourselves until everything was perfect. It was also nice to be on the other side of a camera that was so different than mine. I really do feel that the hasselblad is a more personal tool, because the photographer can focus and shoot without actually having the camera obscure their face. Could be an excellent Christmas present, you can get them used on ebay (hint!).
Adrian and I are thinking about changing our plans a bit. We were originally going to go to Germany at the end of May, but we are thinking about staying in Amsterdam, going to visit the Dutch relatives and traveling around from here by bike. We are planning on a trip to Harleem tomorrow (it's about 20 km each way) as long as we can get Laura's old bike fixed today. We are going to give Ben and Vivian a call and see if they would be able to come here, just because Amsterdam is a bit more of a FUN city than Munster. But that could just be my bias.
Adrian has already found "his new guitar!" in a little shop near on of the squares downtown. I don't really know anything about guitar manufacturing, but I guess this one is a steal at 135 Euro. He has an old beater with him here, and he wants to leave it with Alex. Laura doesn't seem to keen on more STUFF in their little dorm room, but who can argue with those two about music? :)
Adrian spent most of today (yesterday right now, sorry that I didn't finish this post last night) with Beartie, talking about art and music, and he went out for a few walks between the rain showers. But I feel guilty, like I hogged all of the nice weather before he got here. The sun is coming back tomorrow, but it isn't going to be nearly as warm.
We are just about to go out into the rain for eggs and other brunch kinds of food. We are going to try to get to a museum today, but we figure that they will be PACKED because of the rain and the weekend. I'm sure we will find something interesting to do though.
Everything on our end is going well, we think we might move into one of Alex's friend's dorm rooms in a week or so, so that we have a place for Ben and Vivan to stay if they come (these are plans in the very beginning stages) and also a place to stay until the end of our trip.
Love to all
From Both Of us

No comments: