Thursday, May 1, 2008

Howdy from Heathrow


It’s 6:44 am (for most of you) and I’ve gotten a whole 2.5 hours of sleep! Hopefully it will be easier for me to adjust to the time difference this way.
So far the highlights of this trip have been: seeing the “star elite” (aka first class) seats in the new jet I flew it. Each person has their own little pod, complete with TV, recliner, footrest and environment controls. It was a very star trek esque moment getting onto the plane, which for some reason was lit with blue led lights throughout (these changed by the way, throughout the flight, it was kind of like a rave, but in super slow motion and without any of the dancing).
And, over hearing an airport official tall a woman that she must get a 24 hour immigrant status pass to go outside for a smoke.
Heathrow isn’t as impossible as I’ve heard, even though I have asked for directions about 4 times, but can you blame me? I only have 3 hours to really appreciate all of the wonderful accents, so I have to make the most of it.
Air ports always make me want to shoot, there are so many people from so many countries, all doing their own waiting things. There is a guy across from me sleeping like a baby, with his cowboy boots propped up on the chair (I couldn’t resist taking a quick photo). A lady next to him is eating a boiled egg (we aren’t the only ones Mum!) and even cooler; there are a pair of people juggling behind me.
This already feels like an adventure, especially when I realize how long it will be before I see home again.
It costs about $10 Canadian dollars to connect to the wifi here, so I will have to post this when I land in Amsterdam.
With love
Emma

No comments: